Saturday, September 17, 2011

It’s a Pain

I’ve been so impressed with the quality of care – and specifically from the line staff – that I have received every place I’ve gone.  I’ve had multi-CT scans, PET scans, MRIs and now daily radiation.  I really appreciate the professionalism and efficiency I’ve experienced.  Currently that is at Rush University, a large teaching hospital complex close to the Loop, downtown.

I’ve completed 3 of ten radiation treatments, finishing a week from Tuesday.  The procedure itself is quite manageable – the three visits to set it up, not so much.  But now it is a 20 minute in-and-out routine.  Thanks to Adam for driving me nearly every day, what a blessing!

The main purpose of radiation is to reduce the bone tumors’ size and hence the pain produced.  That seems to be happening in the lower back but my hip is very painful yet, now with pain radiating to the knee.  Last night was quite an ordeal as the morphine does not seem able to do much.  I’ll be talking with the doc on Monday to try to understand this more and see if other measures are needed.

I’ve determined that cancer is a lot like trying to repair very old plumbing – complications do easily arise that require significant interventions in all sorts of unexpected arenas. Both are messy and gross, too!  :-) 

So my current prayer request is simple – relief of pain in the hip, knee and leg.

Thanks friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment